Top 5 facts
- HeroRATs can search an area the size of a tennis court in 30 minutes. This would take a deminer with a metal detector up to four days depending on how much scrap metal was lying around.
- Our HeroRATs are trained to detect the chemical compound within explosives called TNT; they ignore scrap metal, unlike traditional methods with a metal detector.
- Over 110 million landmines remain hidden around the world with at least 59 countries affected.
- Cambodia is one of the most mine-affected countries in the world and as of 2020 there is still over 817 km² of land still littered with landmines and other explosives.
- Almost half of all landmine accidents globally are children. Their inquisitive nature means they stray from paths and pick up strange objects.