Voluntary General Manager (UK)
Play a key role in bringing to the UK what could be the most unusual international charity in 2020.
What will you be doing?
APOPO trains African giant pouched rats to detect landmines using their incredible sense of smell. We have an exceptional record in mine clearance and is the only organisation in the world with this model.
Clearing landmines is the essential first step in rebuilding lives after conflict. Last year over 50,000 people in one of its partner countries, Cambodia, were able to live a worry-free life because their villages were cleared of 30 year old unstable mines and other explosives. The rats are too light to set off landmines. No rats have been injured or killed carrying out this vital job and their detection rate is amazing - 100%. Rats are also being trained to detect diseases, for example tuberculosis.
APOPO is about to start fundraising in the UK, but with just £5,000 to launch itself. So it is looking for a volunteer general manager for 12 to 18 months to help the board establish the charity and raise funds with a target of £250,000. There has been considerable interest for APOPO’s work in the UK with over a thousand donors from the UK Public which donated over £45,000 in 2019.
The key management functions:
- Work with chair to prepare board meetings and take minutes and follow up action points.
- Work with the board to develop the proposed business plan and agree what key policies are needed to be formally agreed with the board by end of first year.
- Recommend and begin a basic financial recording system so financial summaries can be circulated quarterly (for example QuickBooks).
- Support fundraising by supporting UK-specific campaigns
- Manage a virtual office including responding to letters, emails, calls and preparing a monthly summary for trustees.
What are we looking for?
A person with at least 5 years’ executive management experience, preferably with an international organisation or one that has been developing rapidly from a small base, and who would enjoy helping to build APOPO UK. We are seeking for a commitment of at least 1-2 days a week but in the manager’s own time.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate from past experience their attention to detail and ability to progress actions to agreed milestones.
Either in or out of office hours
Estimate of time needed:
3-7 hours / week
1-2 days a week in own time
What difference will you make?
An opportunity to be the key worer starting an entirely new charity to the UK.
APOPO is about to start fundraising in the UK, but with just £5,000 to launch itself. So it is looking for a volunteer general manager for 12 to 18 months to help the board establish the charity and raise funds with a target of £250,000. There has been considerable interest for APOPO’s work in the UK with over a thousand donors from the UK Public which donated over 45,000 pound in 2019. This role is likely to appeal to someone with experience of managing a small NGO or business, preparing to return to work or who has retired early. However, a more proactive role would also be welcomed from someone with fundraising or corporate development experience.
What's in it for the volunteer?
- The satisfaction of helping establish perhaps the most unusual charity to come to the UK this year.
- An opportunity to work with a small and high level board team.
- Opportunity to visit and see mine clearance in action and rats in medical research (at own cost unless targets are met).
- Opportunity to fundraise (optional).
- Development of CV.
A few more details
Support available (as needed)
- Bi-monthly call with chair.
- Swiss director, for issues to do with setting up a new charity and APOPO processes.
- Other senior management from overseas: IT, content drafting, public fundraising.
- APOPO CEO, for items related to service delivery and project management.
(Fundraising support from voluntary consultant)
Before you apply
Please apply with CV, 3 references (who are willing to be emailed or phoned later) and a cover letter outlining your interest and the relevance of your experience to the above brief. Closing date is April 26th. Interviews on Skype or Google Hangouts. The position can be immediate or starting in June. Further information on request.
To apply, click here: